As a professional organization with the pursuit of knowledge and education as its primary aims, AIB must ensure trust and confidence in its membership through self-regulation that is consistent with scientific integrity and universally recognized ethical norms.
AIB must also ensure that its members are treated ethically in the context of AIB matters, activities, and structures.
In this spirit, AIB has developed a number of Ethics Codes to outline the ethical standards of professional conduct and procedures for handling violations of those standards:
Ethics Policy Commitee (EPC)
The EPC is responsible for implementation, interpretation, advice, communication, review, and updating of the ethics codes. Current members of the committee are:
- Denis Arnold, University of North Carolina Charlotte (Chair)
- JT Li, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Anne Tsui, University of Notre Dame
- Rosalie Tung, Simon Fraser University
- Alain Verbeke, University of Calgary
- Ex Officio Members: AIB Managing Director and AIB President (or delegate)
Ethics Review Commitee (ERC)
ERC is responsible for dispute resolution and enforcement of the codes. Current members of the committee are:
- Paul Vaaler, University of Minnesota (Chair)
- Tatiana Kostova, University of South Carolina
- Bodo Schlegelmilch, Vienna University of Economics and Business
- Ex Officio Member: AIB Managing Director
The Creation of Our Code - AIB's Code of Ethics (adopted in June 2018) is the product of a years-long development process, led by Lorraine Eden and guided by input from every level of our organization. An expert in academic ethics, Eden was tasked by AIB's Executive Board to oversee every step of the code's creation, from its initial drafting to its final implementation. Building on her previous work with AIB's Leadership Code of Ethics (2012, revised in 2019) and the JIBS Code of Ethics (2007, broadened into the AIB Journals Code of Ethics in 2018), Eden has helped establish a new standard for professional integrity within the Academy. AIB is eternally grateful to Lorraine Eden for her dedicated work on these codes.